On Friday, Pakistani authorities agreed for a third time to grant consular access to Kulbhushan Jadhav, a day after India’s diplomats stormed out of a spy conference.
Spokesperson for the Foreign Office, Aisha Farooqui, confirmed the development, saying that Pakistan has provided consular access without a security guard being present this time.
The spokesperson said India was issued a written offer and a response is awaited. She said the bid was made as a “gesture of goodwill”
The development comes a day after two Indian High Commission officials in Islamabad — who had been granted consular access to Jadhav for a second time at the behest of New Delhi — left without hearing him out, saying they had not been provided “unimpeded” consular access.
Yesterday, Indian diplomats were allowed a week after the revelation that the spy had turned down an opportunity to file a petition for appeal against his conviction, to hold a meeting with Jadhav.
The development has been seen by many as a sign that some Indian diplomats may consider making use of the concession offered through an ordinance released on May 20 that authorized Jadhav to file a petition for review in Islamabad High Court (IHC) within 60 days, either directly or through the Indian government or its legal representative. The threshold expires July 19.
In a statement released yesterday, the FO spokesman said that two Indian High Commission consular officers in Islamabad had been given “unimpeded and uninterrupted access to Jadhav at 1,500 hours”
“Pakistan provided for the first consulate access under the 1963 Vienna Convention on Consular Relations on 2 Sept. 2019. Jadhav ‘s mother and wife were also allowed to meet him on 25 Dec. 2017,” read the FO statement.